Bachelor of Commerce (Financial Management) (B.F.M.)
The Bachelor of Commerce in Financial Management is a specialised undergraduate degree that prepares students for the management of monetary resources in an organisation. This programme is primarily aimed at developing financial and managerial skills, to equip students to meet the demand for specialists and leaders in the financial sector.
The programme examines financial concepts such as capital, cash budgets, analysis of financial statements, taxation, commercial law and provides a comprehensive overview of financial management. In this way, while primarily gaining specialised financial skills, students consider and evaluate different factors in making informed decisions for continued financial growth in an organisation and are well prepared to assume managerial positions in corporate sector.
A student attaining the Bachelor of Commerce in Financial Management [BCom (Financial Management)] degree will be able to:
- Obtain and assimilate knowledge appropriate to the practice of financial management in any organisation.
- Obtain professional and technical skills required in financial management.
- Evaluate financial and accounting concepts and principles and their application in solutions to practical finance problems.
- Prepare financial statements of entities, including groups of companies, using relevant financial information, accounting techniques and standards; and to analyse and interpret such financial statements.
- Use relevant financial techniques with cost information, for planning, decision-making, performance evaluation and control, within different business settings.
- Apply financial management techniques to issues affecting investment, financing, and dividend policy decisions of an organisation.
- Understand the general legal framework, and apply specific legal principles relating to business, including taxation legislation as applicable to individuals, single companies and groups of companies.
- Explain the process of carrying out the assurance (audit) engagement and its application in the context of the professional (audit) regulatory framework.
- Describe the organisational context of the financial manager and of the development of financial systems; to understand the need for the efficient use of resources within an organisation.
Roadmap to Success:
The course of B.Com in Financial Management has been granted to a limited number of colleges in Mumbai under the aegis of Mumbai University. Lala Lajpatrai College of Commerce & Economics has been one among the few chosen colleges who have been allowed to offer this course. The first batch of BFM commenced at Lala Lajpatrai College from the academic year 2016-17 with a healthy intake capacity of 60 students and is currently in its second successful year. The college has devised a unique mode of conducting the course through a varied mix of theoretical delivery, practical application exercises with a liberal sprinkling of exposing the students to live industry conditions & experience firsthand, the corporate way of life by way of industrial visits, academic fests, academia-corporate interactions, etc to ensure a holistic and all-round development of the students.